August To Do List
* Keep tending fuchsias for further bloom. Pinch out grapelike berries, and nip out growing tips for a bushier plant. Fertilize and keep watered.
* Keep roses deadheaded for fall bloom.
* Don’t neglect houseplants. Feed with water-soluble fertilizer each time you water. Move away from intense sun.
* Sow vegetables for fall crop: beets, Chinese cabbage, mustard, onions, radishes, spinach, turnips, brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli.
* Fertilize cucumbers, summer squash and broccoli while harvesting to maintain production. Harvest vegetables when edible to stimulate further production.
* Keep on deadheading annuals and perennials.
* Harvest herbs in the morning just after dew dries for freshest flavor. If you want to store some, dry the cut herbs on a screen in a shady place.
* Prune wisteria if it needs it. And it probably does.